Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Where does Hippolita come from

A friend of mine asked me while he visited my blog, "what does hipolitha mean? Is it kinda abbreviation of your name?"

It sounds like shortening my name, but it is not. I have my own reason why I'm using that name. It's just because I like the name. A friend of mine in my faculty, the one I admire because he's really great at literature, called me Hipolita. Well.. at first it sounded weird for me. But then I find out who's that girl and why did he admire her?

So I asked Mr. Google and found out. There are some versions about the story but I like this version.

Hippolyta is queen of Amazon in Greek mythology. The Amazons were a warrior race of women who were descended of Ares, the god of war. She's a superior archer in Amazon and no other knights can conquer her. She's so undefeated in the battlefield with her Amazons army. She possess a magical girdle she was given by her father. The girdle was a waist belt that signified her authority as queen of the Amazons.
Being of the Amazon tribe, a nation of women warriors whom in Greek mythology burned off their right breasts in order to use a bow and arrow more successfully, and as a rule, abhorred male supremacy; Hippolyta’s surrender to Theseus in battle and married him. Hippolyta’s struggle with her beliefs and her love may be the reason she seemed to have had cold feet in the beginning. She was not excited about her wedding, although they stay true to each other and get married in the end. 
Although, the relationship between Theseus and Hippolyta represents ideal, mature love, and contrasts with the other lovers relationships. Occasionally, they disagree about certain issues, but due to their mature personalities, they are able to confront their problems, resolve them, and let them go.

As Louis Montrose notes in Midsummer of Night's Dream of William Shakespeare where we can see the story of Theseus and Hippolyta: "Amazonian mythology seems symbolically to embody and to control a collective anxiety about the power of a female not only to dominate or reject the male but to create and destroy him." However, Hippolyta attracts Theseus with her feminine allure and charm, to such a degree that Theseus is completely smitten with her. Despite her forceful nature, she becomes the object of Theseus' passion.  By marrying Hippolyta, Theseus is laying down his sword, "the weapon which gave him power and authority over her," and essentially surrendering to her. By the end of the play, Hippolyta has actually added to her power, becoming the queen of a new realm, Athens.

In spite of her surrender to the male supremacy at the end, I still adore Hippolyta. Not only as a superior warrior women, but also to her mature character. Isn't it logic when we're so powerful and suddenly found someone who can smitten us and then we readily let go all we've had?
Whatever it is, I believe Hippolyta has her own reason why she surrender herself to Theseus  whereas she's so powerful. The other reason is just because I like her name. It sounds a bit like my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think about it? Feel free to write comment :)